I get confused about irony. I think I call some things “ironic” when they are actually just funny.
Today, the world has gone black. Wikipedia shut down it’s American site, Reddit and Craigslist have too. In other words, the world right now greatly resembles the world of 1986, or 1996. Wait, or even 2006!
Why? Well, in a half-baked nutshell, this protest is against legislation that would censor freedom of speech on websites. Sort of. I don’t know, read it for yourself. I’m seriously opposed to censorship. In fact, I’m one of those wackadoos who thinks that drugs and prostitution should be legalized. “Government intervention” is like being babysat by your schizophrenic uncle for the weekend. Rules are arbitrary, loopholes are easily discovered, and there are FAR too many voices with FAR too many conflicting agendas wanting to be heard when the someone’s head catches on fire. Also, people with facial hair should not try to smoke tumbleweeds.
So, you know, I just have some thoughts about the blackouts today.
- We are urged to contact our congressman. In keeping with the protests, should we send them a blank email?
- OMG! This reminds me a lot of 2004, when half of the blacked-out sites didn’t exist!
- You can’t oppress me! I shall protest with SILENCE!
- Couldn’t you all have just occupied something?
- Shouldn’t this be on www.passiveaggressivenotes.com?
- Great, now to get information I have to go to sites that probably pirated all of their content from the blacked out sites.
- Is blackout the new occupy?
- Thousands of school kids with research papers due will have to find new websites to plagiarize!
Anyway, I gotta go. The voices said so.
I’m not on strike, but if you click here, you can fill out a form and submit a letter stating your opposition to SOPA/PIPA.